- Alcoholic beverages, ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) and aspirin are not to be taken for 48 hours after surgery. Your doctor will provide you with prescription strength medication if necessary.
- In occasional instances, minor bleeding may occur from the transplant site and/or donor area. This can be controlled by applying gentle but firm pressure on the area for 5-10 minutes with a dampened gauze pad. Press only, do not rub.
- A pressure dressing will be applied to the back of your scalp where grafts were harvested. This dressing should remain in place for 2 days. After 2 days, you may remove the pressure dressing. All donor sites should be closed up and on their way to healing. Apply Bacitracin ointment over the donor area once daily for 3 more days. Copper K Scalp Cream (shake well before using) should be gently dabbed on the donor site to help heal the scabs in between Bacitracin use. Rotate between the two products until scabs are completely healed.
- You may experience itching around the newly implanted grafts. To ease this discomfort, we recommend you fill a small spray bottle with saline and spray the grafts at least 3-4 times daily to keep them moist. It is recommended to use Copper K Calming Spray to soothe the itching and reduce the inflammation on the new grafts. Copper K Calming Spray (shake well before using) can be used immediately post op in office and up to 2 weeks post op.
- If your surgery involved frontal hairline restoration, it is recommended that you sleep In a flat position to move fluid back from eyes and prevent swelling. You may also lightly massage the forehead moving fluid back from eyes.If you have a procedure on crown you may sleep slightly elevated.To minimize swelling on the forehead or around the eyes, apply an ice pack or a bag of frozen peas over the eyebrows for 15 minutes every hour, not on the grafts.Keep the ice pack at least one inch away from the frontal hairline where grafts were placed. If swelling occurs, it will appear on the second or third day after the surgery. The swelling is part of the healing process and will usually disappear within 5-7 days. Begin using ice packs immediately after the surgery and continue for the next 72 hours. Do not use a hot compress; this will only intensify the swelling.
- Scabbing will form over the transplant sites and solidify the first few hours after the procedure. These scabs will naturally fall off within 2 weeks. Do not pick or scratch at these scabs at any time. To do so can endanger the healing of the graft and could cause scarring or chance of infection. Do not be alarmed if there are short hairs in scabs when they fall off. The hair bulb remains inside the skin. It is natural to lose the hair shaft. Copper K Calming Spray will reduce discomfort. It can be used twice daily up to two weeks post op . (shake well before using)
- Do not wash your scalp for 48 hours after the surgery. Only after 48 hours, may you gently wet the hair. Angle your shower head from the neck down. Use a large cup when you take a shower to wash your hair. Fill it with a small amount of Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo and lukewarm (NOT HOT) water. This will create a lather. Pour this mixture onto your entire scalp and spread the shampoo over the sides and back of the scalp, massaging the mixture with your fingers only on the donor site. It is important that you do not touch the recipient areas with your fingers as this may cause the grafts to dislodge.Rinse lightly in the shower with a cup filled only with water. Do not allow full strength streaming water from the shower head to make contact with your scalp. This may cause your grafts to dislodge, especially within the first 5 days. Wash your scalp daily for the first 2 weeks. Use in conjunction with Copper K Shampoo Spray (shake well before using), specifically designed to prevent physical contact with the grafts. Copper K Shampoo Spray (shake well before using) can be used up to two weeks post op as needed.
- When combing and styling your hair, make sure to do so while the hair is wet. Comb the hair in an “up and over” manner. This will eliminate the chance of scratching the scalp and dislodging the grafts. Do not use any hair products not recommended by the physician for the first 14 days.
- Avoid weight lifting and intense workouts for 14 days. Most activities in the work place should be easily resumed a day or two after the procedure. Please consult your doctor’s office if you have any questions or concerns.
- Hats may not be worn the first 2 days. After day 3, do not wear a hat unless you have to or intend to be outside for more than 30 minutes under bright sunlight. We recommend wearing an adjustable (not fitted) cap, (see pic). Do not wear a hat that collapses or touches your scalp (beanie, wool cap, etc.), especially where grafts were placed. If you plan to be outside for more than 30 minutes, you may begin using a spray sunscreen after 2 weeks or after all scabs have fallen off to help protect your grafts. Avoid excessive sun exposure on your grafts.
- Wait 1 month before resuming Rogaine 5% foam. Propecia can continue to be used.
- If you color your hair, it is recommended that you color your hair a few days before your procedure. After the procedure, you must wait 6-8 weeks before you can color your hair again and a semi-permanent color should be used instead of a permanent hair color that may cause damage to your new grafts. Permanent hair color can be used 3 months after your surgery.
You have had a hair transplantation surgery. Minor bleeding on the surgery sites is normal the first night after the procedure. If excessive bleeding occurs anywhere on the scalp and cannot be stopped by firm pressure and application of ice to the area for a period greater than 20 minutes, then you must proceed to the nearest hospital emergency room or urgent care center. Please call your doctor’s office and take this form with you.
Pre-operative medications (BRING ALL MEDICATIONS ON THE DAY OF SURGERY):
- Keflex 500mg, bid x 4days
- Valium 10mg, take as directed
- Vicodin 5/325, 1-2 hours post-op / every 4-6 hours for pain
After 2 weeks you can begin to wash hair normally.
Recommended Products to use for daily maintenance include:
- Argan Intensive Roots and Omega Shampoos- Can be used 1-2 weeks post op and pre op up to day of procedure.
- Ceramide Conditioner (Rinse out) after 1- 2 weeks post op and pre op up to day of procedure
- Keratin Leave In Conditioner- 1 month post op and pre op up to day of procedure
- Silk Mask can be used for dry and damaged hair 2 weeks post op.